If like me, you have loads of old pair of glasses lying around heres some good things you can do with them.
– Take the lenses out and use them for costumes/dressing up (or donate to a theatre for the same purpose).
– Paint the lenses and use them as a statement piece in your house or garden.
– Put them in a hinged display frame or boudoir box for decoration.
– Stick them to a plant pot, bowl, box, etc for decoration. You could always add a nose and mouth underneath.
– Use them in decorative gift wrap or scrap booking.
– Use on a snowman.
– The World Health Organization estimates 153 million people around the world have poor eyesight due to uncorrected errors such as near-sightedness, far-sightedness, and astigmatism. These can be easily diagnosed, measured and corrected with spectacles, yet millions of people in developing countries do not have access to these basic services (link for information). Here are a few places you can send your old glasses where they can make a difference to someone else’s quality of life.
– Specsavers and Vision Express now accept old glasses for Vision Aid Overseas to help people who cannot afford glasses.
– Find more information on Vision Aid Overseas and where to take your glasses here.
– Local opticians usually also accept glasses to recycle in developing countries.
– OneSight is an American website I found that also recycle glasses for a good cause (more info here).
– Lions Clubs International is another great cause that send your old and unwanted to developing countries where they will have the greatest impact (more info here).
Leave a comment if you know any other crafty ways to reuse glasses or any great causes to send them to!
Love Lou xoxox